09 March 2015

MUSIC OR DIE #8–The Crickets, "The "Chirping" Crickets" (1957)



Part 8 of my 1000+ part series.
(For info on that, clickety-click-click)

In which I see how rock n' roll is still beginning to emerge from the primordial ooze. 

TL;DR:

More after The Cut>>>



The songs: 

1.) Oh, Boy!
You can hear in Buddy Holly's vocals both echoes of Elvis and the roots of what would soon be echoed in countless artists to follow: the energy, the raw yells, the audible smirk. Short though this song may be (it clocks in at just over two minutes), it packs a punch: "All my love/All my kissin'/You don't know what you've been missin'/Oh, boy!" 

2.) Not Fade Away
Wow oh wooooow, does this ever remind me of "I Want Candy" by The Strangeloves....or Aaron Carter, if you prefer. 
We know, Aaron...we know.
Seriously, though, the parallels are there. "Not Fade Away" is definitely heavily inspired by Elvis, plus Holly's characteristic vocal 'hiccups' that later became a trademark of Michael Jackson. So much going on hereeeee, whoa.

3.) You've Got Love
This is a more country-tinged song, with some doowop-y backing vocals. Not my cuppa personally, but I have to say that his voice is as cute as ever here. Man, was he young. "You've got two eyes so you can see/Your love was meant for me"
Awww, stoooop don'tstop
4.) It's Too Late
I legit thought it was Elvis for the first two seconds, when Buddy's voice sinks down for "it's too la-ate". More on the R&B end of the spectrum, more soulful, and it's great. At points it sounds like it was recorded from a mountaintop or something–his voice echoes from what sounds like miles away. (Parts of this album were recorded in an Air Force Base, soooo that's a distinct possibility).

5.) Tell Me How
"La la la/Tell me how to keep-a your love". Maybe I'm just insane ("maybe", pfffft) but I hear a bit of early Bowie in some of his vocals here, like how he pronounces "Love is true-oooh" at points. Bizarre. (David did used to do Buddy Holly covers, sooooo...)
Specifically some spiders from Mars
6.) That'll Be the Day
And so we get to Side Two, and what is perhaps the most famous of Buddy Holly/The Crickets' songs. It set the bar high for rock songs to follow in the 50s, with its plaintive lyrics, short but punchy melody, guitar solo, and the like. Fun fact: The first song The Beatles ever recorded was a cover of this very song. If it's good enough for them, it's more than enough for me. 
"I heard this, and my brain just went like–*BOOM*"
7.) I'm Looking for Someone to Love
"Well, if you're not here, well baby, I don't care/'Cause I'm-a lookin' for someone to love"
I will continue to make each and every Queen reference I can.
At less than two minutes, this is the quintessential bare bones rock song. It remains fast and free until the last repeat of the line "someone to lo-o-oooove", where the music drops out to leave some great vocal harmonies. This could easily have been a Beatles song.  

8.) An Empty Cup (And a Broken Date)
Starting with the evocative title, this chronicles the sad tale of a drive-in movie date gone horribly wrong when she not only stands him up, but has the nerve to drive by with some other guy. Jerk.
AKA, Blink-182's "First Date" gone horribly wrong. 
"Girl, if you'd only shown up, THIS could've been our reality."
9.) Send Me Some Lovin'
Apart from some minimal bass and drums (later some guitar), this is virtually a cappella for the beginning of the song. Once the guitar does get louder, you don't even need it to get where this is going, which is essentially The Crickets do "I'm Counting on You" (see my "Elvis Presley" post).

10.) Last Night
Not to be confused with...
"Last night as I watched the stars from my window/I prayed Lord above to guide and protect you/Though I'm not wanted now/I still love you somehow"
With "bum-bum-bum" backing vocals reminiscent of "Mr. Sandman", but where that track is earnestly hopeful, this one is slower and sadder. It's quite nice, and I'm surprised it's not more famous.

11.) Rock Me My Baby
THOSE DRUMS THOUGH
They reminded me of a sort of proto-"Wipeout". What an awesome closing song. Somewhat silly lyrics and affectations in the singing combined with the aforementioned epic drums and a rollicky guitar line. yesyesyes
Seems about right.
FINAL THOUGHTS:
I had heard a few Buddy Holly songs prior to this, and also had heard so many things about the importance of his legacy. So. Many. Things. To name a few, John Lennon said, "There would not even have been a Beatles had it not been for the Crickets.” One of the Rolling Stones' first big hits was a cover of "Not Fade Away". And as one music historian put it, “I believe you went to a concert to see Elvis Presley; but you went to hear Buddy Holly.” In my mind, Buddy Holly was always that "What are you doing with your life, Crystal?" standard, especially since I'm older than he was when he died tragically in an airplane crash. While listening, I most definitely heard ideas echoed in other artists' music, especially artists of the 1960s (and beyond). Great album.

Personal standout tracks:
"Oh, Boy!", "Not Fade Away", "That'll Be the Day", "Last Night", "Rock Me My Baby"

No comments:

Post a Comment